Do Mallard drakes get aggressive around people?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LDSmama, Apr 24, 2018.

1. LDSmama

LDSmama Chirping

Feb 8, 2018
    Logan, Utah
    First a little back story: I live on the edge of an urban area, within a couple blocks of rural country. We have a couple ducks that have roamed our neighborhood for at least the last few years. One mallard drake, and at least one hen. Occasionally ducklings have appeared. Our lot is 3/4 acre, mostly grass, with a few trees. Our backyard has a sandbox. We also have a dozen chickens (hopefully all pullets) who are still in their coop (still building their run).

So this morning my 2 1/2yo grandson was playing in the sandbox. Two feet away was the hen, just sitting in the grass. Not on a nest. The drake was nowhere to be seen. Grandson left the duck alone, and the duck didn't seem bothered by him. My daughter (who was watching him) was concerned about the possibility of the drake showing up and attacking my grandson, thinking gs was a threat to the hen. Is this a concern?

2. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Songster

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    No mallard drakes don’t attack people and normally the drakes don’t stay with the Hens when they are raising a brood. A few species that both parents raise brood include Mandarins, American wood duck, Australian wood duck (they definitely attack you), and probably more.

LDSmama likes this.
  3. LDSmama

LDSmama Chirping

Feb 8, 2018
    Logan, Utah
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: