Do mallard ducks lay eggs everyday and can you eat the eggs?

Well, I am not at all an expert in any way, but I believe you can eat them like any other duck/chicken egg. As far as how many eggs they produce, ducksforbackyards.com says a single Mallard produces
60-120 eggs per year.

In comparison, it says a Pekin duck produces 140-220 eggs in a year.

I believe that all domesticated ducks, except the muscovy, are mallard derived. You can eat their eggs just like chicken eggs. Some use them especially for baking saying it makes the cake/bread taste better. Our Pekin has laid everyday since she started in December. Our Rouens have laid nearly everyday, only missing one every couple of weeks. We eat them scrambled, fried, omelet. Just cook them at a slightly lower temp so that they don't get 'rubbery'...they taste great.

My snowy call duck laid her first egg this morning. I checked on her after church and either her or her mate smashed the egg. Ay ideas why? Also when can I expect another egg?

I've eaten my mallard duck eggs. And no mine did not lay everyday. I think it was like a couple times a week and only for like a month. But my flock was very young last year so it may be different this year. But yeah and egg is an egg , so we eat them.

My mallard ducklings swimming in the sink!
So cute
love.gif

Yes it's perfectly fine to eat their eggs but my mallards are seasonal layers.

Hey im also new to mallards ...I've just inherited a female about a year or so old ...shed been running with 4 chickens ...i read that ducks need a mate or they only live have their lives...so i got her a mate mallard duck they are like two peas in a pod..when do you ya all think il get some eggs ???

Back
Top Bottom