1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do mama chickens mourn over the death of chicks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlover149, Mar 20, 2017.

1. chickenlover149

chickenlover149 New Egg

Mar 20, 2017
    Hello everybody! I decided to make an account today because there's a question that's been bugging me for a little while now, and this seems like the place to ask it!

Recently I've had a mama hen showing up in my back yard to dig around in the leaves with her chicks. For a while she had three chicks, but the other day one of them disappeared and we haven't seen it since. This brought up the question in my mind of whether or not chickens become sad over the loss of their babies. I've read around that they can get depressed from losing their best friends, but I can't seem to find anything about losing their chicks online. Thanks!

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello and welcome! What a great question - truthfully I don't know. I've had Mamas' who have lost babies and they don't seem terribly bothered - survival of the fittest? It makes sense that they mourn their best friends since they have had time to bond together...I will be interested to see what others think [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by