Do marans eggs require different humidity setting?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ban seabhag, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I have just set some BCMs in the bator and am a little confused about some of the info concerning hatching them. Some say they require the same humidity as any other eggs and some say dryer? What's the opinion of that? I'd like to get it right. I have never done these before.

2. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I try the dry incubation method. Start out near 60% humidity. Let it drop down into the 30's before reloading water. I like that system. Then to make sure it stays around 60% for the last 3 days

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I incubate my Marans eggs alongside my other eggs and have good hatches from them. I've never done anything different for them.

4. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I do have these in the Hova right now with other eggs. (just started) I was afraid I might have to move them to the Brinsea.
    Regarding the dry method. Isn't 60 percent a little high to start? How long before you add water when it gets to 30 percent?

5. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

6. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

I did a dry hatch with some maran and welsummer eggs. The maran eggs were actually some the first to hatch. I kept the humidity between 20/30 % first 18 days then around 65/70 %.

Bluemoon

7. lildinkem

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This time of year I replace the water more then I would during the humid times of the year. About every two to three days this time of year. I start at 60% knowing that when it gets to 30%, I am averaging 45% for the whole time of the incubation till the last three days. I seem to have better hatches when I don't fiddle with the eggs too much. My best Orp hatch was 21 outta 22 Black Orps when I forgot what day they were due. lolol And the auto turner was on the whole time too. lolol Maybe IF it was off I would have had 22 outta 22. lolol

8. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Quote:I did this with my last batch too and had great results. When I first tried a dry hatch like I did at the end of the summer it worked, but now that I've got the furnace on it's just too dry in the house. The ones I'm doing now I'll also keep at 45 to 65%.

9. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    Quote:This was a really helpful article, that addressed most of my questions. Thanks.

Mine started at about 58 and is now at 38, and has been for several days. I have to watch this, as humidity can fluctuate quite a bit with the weather.

10. lildinkem

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    PAINTED SPIRIT I now put a wash cloth or sponge in my Hova and soak the sucker down. That seems to offset the dry humidity during this period. And I am a hatching machine since I do this.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by