Do mean chicks influence others?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by David Lassiter, Dec 22, 2016.

1. David Lassiter

David Lassiter Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2016
    North Carolina
    I've got about a 4 week old Silkie in the brooder with 1 newly hatched chick (3 days). (I did a semi dry hatch with lower temp experiment on 6 eggs and only 1 hatched, won't be doing that again). Anyways, the silkie does not like to be handled at all, even though I hold him/her everyday. It will peck at me when I'm trying to grab it. Today EE chick began pecking at me as well. Not sure if this is influenced by the older chick, or just because it's getting older. Can the older one influence the younger that way? I've got another 17 (hopefully) hatching next week and need to separate the older chick from them if it will, as well as the one I have already. [​IMG]

2. dragonthehunter

dragonthehunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2016
    New brunswick Canada
    Yes they will influence the younger ones

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I agree. New baby chicks take their cues from older chicks or their broody mama. If the broody is friendly and likes to be handled, the chick will, also.

If the new chick is with an older chick, it will instinctively look to the older chick as its mama. It may even try to scoot under it for warmth. It will learn from the older chick since it won't be able to know on its own what is safe and what isn't.

Your best bet is to try to win over the Silkie with treats. The younger chick will then follow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by