1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do meat birds start crowing before they are ready to dress out?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by pueawjapygrta, Apr 23, 2007.

1. pueawjapygrta

pueawjapygrta Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2007
    do meat birds start crowing before they are ready to dress out?

I'm hoping that I don't have to deal with a bunch of crowing meat birds!

2. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I would think they would start trying because my layer flock chick roos are going on 8 weeks old and they are crowing now. I am also raising meat birds (have 5 that are just over a week old and getting 15 more this Wednesday) and I plan to dress them out by the time they are 8 weeks old. I would think there would be some crowing going on by then (mine are straight run so I'll have a little of both), however, young chicks arent' very good at it yet and its still pretty quiet compared to a full blown roos crow.

3. ccr

ccr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    Yup, you will have some crowing going on starting around 7 weeks - it is one of my signs to know they are ready to go in! I take mine in at 8 weeks to and the boys are just starting to crow - sounds weird as it is not a full crow, just the beginnings.

4. EurekaSouth

EurekaSouth Out Of The Brooder

I started out with 27 cornish x's. I began butchering and dressing at about 6 weeks, starting with the roos (mostly). Today, I did 9 more, they're about 7 weeks old and I haven't heard any crowing yet. They do posture with each other and act like little roos, but no crowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by