Do meat chicks need heat as long as others?

ssledoux

Songster
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
My cornish cross chicks are only a couple weeks old, and they really stay away from the heat more than my other chicks the same age (probably because they're so heavy!!)

Do meat birds not need as much heat for as long as the smaller laying breeds?

Your cornish are probably boiling under the same heat as your regular chicks. If they are acting too hot I would separate them from your other chicks in their own brooder so you can regulate their temp. better. They really don't need a lot of heat at two weeks old.

Yep I posted this same Q a week ago
tongue.png
Turns out at three weeks mine don't need any heat.

I just moved mine outside- at 2.5 weeks. Raise your heat lamps a bit. As stated, they don't even need heat after 3 weeks, but I turn the lamps on at night just in case.

Yeah, we're done with heat. They are outside today, and were yesterday, in the grass in their pen. They LOVE it. I posted some pics in another post today with them eating their grass.

They weren't in the brooder with chicks their same age. They were in with some silkies that were older than they were, so the heat wasn't as bad. It's been nice here but we have had some cold nights recently. I do think they are good now though.

Thanks for the responses.

Back
Top Bottom