Do molting hens still squat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kkapotsy, Jan 3, 2017.

1. kkapotsy

kkapotsy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    Curiousity question! I'm a pretty new flock owner. One of my SLW was a faithful layer. Around October she stopped and soon after started losing neck feathers and so I assume she has been going through a small molt. She's been looking more feathered lately and today ran up to me and squatted (a behavior I haven't noticed from her since before her molt) and I wonder if it was random or if maybe she's going to start laying eggs again!

Any insight?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Squatting is a submissive behavior, it is not always an indicator of laying.

3. kkapotsy

kkapotsy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    Right right. I'm curious though because she hasn't been squatting for me since before she started her molt, but today actually came up to me and squatted (not me chasing her down to see if she would). I guess I'll know anyway in the next few days or so if she's coming out of her molt!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Could be. Is her comb getting really red again? It usually gets pale when they molt. It will brighten back up when she gets close to laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by