Do molting turkeys need any supplements?

Feathyr

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 21, 2014
Idaho
I'm wondering if, like chickens, turkeys need additional protein during their molts. If so, what kind? Would BOSS work?

I'm wondering if, like chickens, turkeys need additional protein during their molts. If so, what kind? Would BOSS work?

Like chickens an increase in protein in their feed will help. The best way is to feed them a higher protein quality feed.

There is a lot of bad information that has been posted regarding the protein content. I have seen it listed anywhere from 12% to 20% protein so feeding BOSS will not increase the protein that they are getting. It will increase the amount of fat that they are getting since sunflower seeds contain approximately 40% fat.

One poster makes the claim that it is methionine in the sunflower seeds that benefit the molting bird.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/20891/black-oil-sunflower-seeds-how-much#post_189302

There are threads on what people think will benefit poultry during the molt and unfortunately a lot of them are recommending feeds that are very high in fat content and claiming that these feeds will increase the protein content which they do not do.

While some of these feeds may well be beneficial for other reasons they should really be regarded as treats and should never make up more than 10% of the poultry's diet to prevent the harmful effects of a high fat diet.

Last edited:
I see... thank you for explaining. Is there a specific feed you would recommend? I've only ever fed layer crumbles for my turkeys / chickens.

I see... thank you for explaining. Is there a specific feed you would recommend? I've only ever fed layer crumbles for my turkeys / chickens.

Nutrena is recommending using a higher protein layer feed. Some people use an all flock feed that has a higher protein content. There is nothing wrong with feeding them BOSS as long as you treat it as a supplement and not as the only feed.

I don't normally make any changes in the feed I use for my poultry other than when I have young turkeys in the flock. Right now I am feeding a 20% protein layer pellets to my mixed flock of chickens and turkeys but normally feed a 16% protein layer pellets. I prefer using pellets over crumbles since there appears to be less waste.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom