do most hardware stores have de food grade powder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blueseal, Sep 12, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    is it used to make the coop smell better if i sprinkle it on the floor before i put new shaveings down will it make a difference.

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't say most. Not at all! It's pretty hard to find, especially food grade, and that's what you really want. I -think- stall dry would be ok, and that's a little more available at feed stores, Tractor Supply (TS) and such... just be SURE to not ever get the 'pool grade'!

Get every phone number you can find via internet or yellow pages of every feed store, hardware, garden supply, even pet stores, and call. Just asking the question, (if a clerk sounds too confused or ignorant, get the manager on the phone) ...just asking the question might spur someone to order it for you. I think Purina actually supplies one, but stores/feedmills don't always carry it. They can however order it if they have enough requests for it.

3. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    I lost count of how many stores I called before I found someone who could order it. THEN after waiting a month for it to come in, someone that worked at the store took it! I ended up driving an hour to a Purina store that stocked it & got a 50# bag [​IMG]

Don't feel bad when you ask for it & they look at you like your an idiot. Most people didn't have a clue that DE food grade even existed.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I found it at a garden/nursery, but it was a little high (price-wise). So I ended up calling around till I found a feed store (which is also a garden center) who sometimes keep it on hand. I got it much cheaper by the pound, but had to buy a 50 lb. bag. It will last me until eternity...

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    No, most don't.

There are pros and cons to using it in your shavings, you can try it if you like and don't put in so much that the coop gets dusty from it. However, if odor is your problem, I would suggest addressing the SOURCE of the odor more directly, ie. moisture, ventilation, sanitation, #chickens/area.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by