Do my 6 week old chicks need food when they are closed up at night?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by greenkjb, Jun 26, 2011.

1. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    My girls have been outside for a week now and they are loving it! I have been putting food and water in their house when I close them up at night. I notice they don't seem to be eating their food during the day that much and they make a HUGE mess inside the house with the food they have at night. Are they ok without food for the night? Or maybe I should not close them up? My run is predator proof, I just worry about them getting too cold. Thanks for any advice...

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    If it's dark in the night-section, they won't be eating the food, they'll simply be trampling in it when they get active around dawn. I wouldn't bother having food or water in the sleeping area, personally.

Then again if some drama happens and you don't let them out, lack of water could quickly harm them.

I guess it all depends what setup you have, how much space in the coop, and how reliable you intend to be. [​IMG]

As for them not eating much food in the day, that's pretty odd. I'd probably look into that, e.g. possible coccidiosis. I find chicks are little demolition experts, they go through the feed fast.

Best of luck, hope this helps,
    Erica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by