Do my 8 day old chicks need something to perch on yet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by doodle chicks, May 25, 2010.

1. doodle chicks

doodle chicks Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    How soon do I put a perch in the brooder? Can it wait till they go in their ark when they are around 10 weeks? [​IMG]

2. six little chicks

six little chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Hornell, NY
    Hi- I'm no expert, but when my chicks came home they were about a week old. After they go used to us and their surroundings, I found a perch for made out of an tree branch that was about an inch in diameter and a piece of bark that it fit in perfectly and they loved it. It was so funny to see all six of them squashed on it, one would get off and the others would get spread out then she would come back and end up knocking two off to get her spot back. Recently I moved my chicks to one of the plastic horse trough water bins and I put a piece of 2x4 across the width of it on the grooves, they now will not sleep any where else but on the make shift roost.

My opinion is that you should do what you are comfortable with doing. I would say go for it. It will also give them something to entertain themselves with.

[​IMG]

3. doodle chicks

doodle chicks Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Thanks! I'll go out in the garden now and find a nice stick! They didn't like the little toy ball we put in their brooder but they like to peck at plastic bottle tops!

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    If they were under mum they would not perch for a number of weeks (sometimes months), but in a brooder they will use a sti placed on the ground as a perch,
    Sandie

5. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    My guys didn't start perching until about 6-8 weeks. YMMV.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by