Do my 8 week old girls need a heat lamp at night?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Peep Nerd, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Peep Nerd

Peep Nerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    It's been getting down to about 40 at night already. I have 24 chickens in the coop, 14 of them are only 8 weeks old. Is it okay at this age for them to not have the heat lamp on?

2. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    Watch their behavior. Do they still huddle up at night if you don't turn on their heat lamp? If they do, I would say keep using it until they don't. That or just take the lamp away and set them all really close to each other on the roosts so they can keep each other warm with their body heat. I do that with my adults in the winter when the temperatures get below 20 degrees. Most chickens are very cold hardy, so they do a good job at keeping themselves warm. Are all of your birds fully feathered?

3. Peep Nerd

Peep Nerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    They are all fully feathered but they are definitely cuddlers. I've even found them sleeping under one or two of the 5 month old girls once or twice. <3 I'm not sure they do it because they are cold though. They stick pretty close together all of the time. I think they just like each other. lol
    I'll try one night without it and see how they seem.
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by