Do my almost 5 week old girls still need a heat lamp at night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickyboomboom, Jun 27, 2011.

1. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    We live in Coastal San Diego, so the weather is pretty mild. The lows at night have been about 62 degrees. I've got the heat lamp in there at night from 1030 pm to 6 am. My 5 girls seem to sleep away from it, so I'm wondering if they even need it? Should I shorten the time span? like from 12am to 3am just to cover the coldest part of the night? I'd love to be done with it if I can!

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    If they're outside I might keep it on for a week or so. If they are inside I would think you could turn it off.

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    They probably do not need it, I stopped the heat lamp with my girls around that age- it has been very warm here in SD, so they will be fine [​IMG]

4. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    No, they shouldn't need it at those temps. Moving away from the light is a sign that it is too hot. If you feel more comfortable weening them down, put a smaller bulb in there, such as a regular bulb, rather than a heat lamp. I like to stick to the red colored ones. I think it decreases the amount they peck on each other.

If they are fully feathered out, they shouldn't need it at all.

Good luck.

5. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Quote:they're outside in their coop.

6. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    If the outside night time air temperatures do not fall below 55 degrees they do not need supplemental heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by