1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do MY Chickens Have Worms????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchickens2009, Mar 22, 2011.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    I just noticed some little white bugs(round and about 1/2 inch long) in some poop in my chicken coop. Could this be some kind of worms? If so is there anyway I can deworm them without egg withdrawel?

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Sounds like worms to me, I am not sure about a wormer that does not have egg with drawl this is what I did last year
    1st use wazine throw eggs away for 10 days
    in 10 days follow with a 2nd de-wormer such as safeguard, Ivimintince (sp) drop on throw eggs away for 2 weeks good luck maybe someone else will know something that works that has no egg with drawl

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Could be cecal worms. I recommend Valbazen (albendazole) liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size chickens, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. It is given orally.

4. BunsNChicks

BunsNChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    has anyone ever tried Diamtaceous earth with any success?

5. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Will Eprinex Pour On kill internal or only exterenal bugs?

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    My vet said the eprinex ivermectin pour on will get some worms but not all. It also works on mites and lice. That's why some folks, including me, will use Wazine then a week to 10 days later use the ivermectin.

DE might work well as a preventative, but in the case of any infestation, you want to use something stronger.

7. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Ok after thinking about it some more I realized that the worms were in the poop on the coop floor. That's when I got the idea to let them out to free range for the rest of the evening following them around and inspecting everyone's poop has they did it and never found any sigs of anything in it. Could it be that these worms were just in the poop in the coop living or breeding there and not come from the chickens at all? I just cleaned their coop about a week ago and put new bedding in the nest boxes and fresh sand on the coop floor.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Thing is, if they were visible on the floor they are likely in the chickens as well. Hopefully you will be able to take a poop sample to a vet and have it checked for worms for $20 or so, if you want to be certain. Personally, I would just worm them, but I worm mine once a year anyway. As warm as it is there, I would think you have plenty of worms in the soil.

9. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    There is only one vet here and he wants nothing to do with chickens. I had a hog once that had complications delivering babies and when i went to see him about it he told me I should check with a local hog farmer because he would know what advice to give me. I have a friend who's hunting dog got cut by a wild hog's tusk and when he carried him to the vet to get stitched the vet told him that he (my friend) would have to give his own dog a pill to make him sleepy before he (the vet) would look at him because he's afariad of dogs. Go figure?? All he wants to do is take your money sounds like to me. I think the best thing for me to do is to just go ahead and worm them I just didn't want to have to throw away eggs for two weeks has my egg selling business and just started to do really good and now I will have to stop it.
    Has far as temps here they are in the mid 60's at night and mid to upper 70's in the day.
    Thank you all for the advice.
    God bless! [​IMG]
    Tim

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sometimes you have to help a sow deliver the piglets, especially if it's the first litter. Use dishwashing soap with water, making your hand and arm slippery (dont rinse nor dry) and stick your hand up inside her and gently pull the piglets out one by one. Once they're all out, the sow will take care of them.
    I agree with ddawn. It would be best to worm all your chickens. Two weeks egg withdrawal is a small price to pay for healthy hens that will continue to lay eggs for a long time to come. Valbazen kills all known worms that chickens can get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by