Do my chickens need a lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nicksondag, May 1, 2017.

1. nicksondag

nicksondag Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    Manito, IL
    I think they're around 4 weeks old now and their lamp just broke. They're in a garage kept old water trough. Do I need to worry about it and buy a new lamp or are they fine?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    How cold is it getting where you live? Have the chicks been weaned off heat during the day? Usually, at three weeks chicks no longer need heat during the day, and by four weeks, are good to go without at night as long as they've been easing off heat over the past several weeks.

If you've had these chicks under heat day and night and have not been weaning them gradually off heat since they were two weeks old, then they are not acclimatized to cool temps and will need heat until you properly wean them off it.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Are they fully feathered? What temperature were they at? What is the ambient temperature? Too big of a drop could be stressful. At 4 weeks they probably aren't fully feathered, so unless you are in a warmer climate I would get a new heat lamp for a few more weeks.

4. nicksondag

nicksondag Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    Manito, IL
    About 60-65 in the garage average and they've had the lamp 24/7

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    We're you raising the lamp weekly? To lower their temperatures. They might be okay if you have been, but I would prefer to get a new lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by