do my chicks hate me???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by love4mychick, May 3, 2009.

1. love4mychick

love4mychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    i went to the feed store to buy 12 2week old white leghorn chicks
    they are 3 weeks now and i sti with them and talk to them and i try to stroke the ones that come and check me out and i took them out side and they did fine but they kept there distance from me i tryied to pick them up to but them back in there crate and they all ran away from me and when i got one it started chirping really loud and acting all scared like it dident want to be with me..... if i am doing something wrong please tell me and if there is any way i can make it to were they want to be with me and treat me as if i were there owner and not a preadator please oh please help me out:hit [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

They are chickens, not dogs. They wont 'come' to you like a puppy will.

3. love4mychick

Apr 18, 2009
    yes i know that but when i was a kid i bought a few bantam chicks and i remeberd them following me around

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Generally Leghorns are more flighty birds and not know to be cuddly.
    From Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart, "economical eater; better adaptable to confinement then some Mediterranean; enjoys free range; flyer; flighty; spritely, noisy, nervous, usually avoids human contact".

5. love4mychick

Apr 18, 2009
    ok well next year ill get a chick that likes pepole lol:lol:

6. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks hate me, but usually by the time they grow up they like me.

7. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    my one leghorn does follow us around like a puppy.I named her lady. She will even squat for me. Try treats

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:You cannot expect livestock animals to be like some kitty cat, and you have leghorns to boot, they are notoriously flighty and crazy. Just give them some time and don't expect to be able to take them to the prom and you should be fine.

AL

9. carolina chicky

carolina chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    South Carolina
    I got some new birds that were deathly afraid of me so I went out to the coop and sat down (lol) and gave them some worms me and my husband had bought for fishing and not used them all. After a few minutes I have a few of them jumping in my lap to get a "treat". Now I can pick them up with no problem. I also have a rooster that follows me around like a puppy and comes when I call. He is the only one out of 11 who does that though. So yeah, try some treats.:) Good luck!!

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  10. love4mychick

Apr 18, 2009
    [​IMG]: [​IMG] thank you everyone i will [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by