1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do my chicks have cocci??? please help with suggestions.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elainag, Jun 25, 2011.

1. elainag

elainag Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    hi, everyone, i need your help on trying to figure out why my chicks are dying. i bought some chicks from different places, and as of today more than half have died

these are the symptoms:

loss of appetite, also they dont drink as much water as before, they shut their eyes and drop their wings, at times they open their beaks, like trying to emit sound, i would say gasping, but no sound at all comes from out of them, they have dark brown runny poop, but i havent notice any blood in it.

this is killing my chicks one at a time!!! im giving them the purina medicated crumbles. i wont cull them. (i just learned the term "culling" on this site, thanks. one of the many things i have learned here!!) anyway as i was saying, i dont have the heart to kill them, i want to make them feel better, but i also dont want all my chicks dead. and this is spreading fast almost one dead chick every day for the last 2 weeks!

i injected some of them with tylen 50, some died, some survived, dont know if it was due to the tylen.
    i read about la-200, can i use it?

please help!

any advice will be appreciated!!

thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Heres a link about LA-200, I know nothing about it. Hope this will help you make the decision. also if you think cocci why haven't you treated for cocci?
    sorry it won't let me paste, but type in LA-200 in Google custom search and you'll get information

3. elainag

Jun 15, 2011
    im very new to this, i dont know how to treat cocci... i was reading the other posts about it and i think that is what it is but im not sure, nor i know what medicine to use...
    at first i thought it was just stress. because they only show the symptoms for about 1 or 2 days then, they die.

4. zozobraswife

zozobraswife Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    How old are they? Also, do you see any bubbles in the eyes or snotty nostrils?

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If you have cocci, you would treat it with Corid. What is the temperature in your brooder? If they are dropping their wings and gasping (panting) they may be too hot. The dark brown runny poops are probably just cecal. Good luck- hope you figure out what's going on with them.

6. elainag

Jun 15, 2011
    Quote:they are between 3 and 5 weeks old, and i do not see bubbles in their eyes not snotty nostrils.

7. zozobraswife

zozobraswife Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Droopy wings are a sign of cocci. Their feathers will look ruffled too. Sometimes you will also see droppings that look like raw hamburger. Mix Corid at the rate of 15ml per gallon of water. If you are using quart jars for water, you can use 4ml per quart. You can buy Corid at most feed stores. It is liquid medication. It can't hurt them.

You could have something else. It sounds like you could have some respiratory stuff going on. If you have a willing vet, you might try to talk the vet out of Baytril 100. It's awesome stuff to use on birds. For an average size adult bantam (500-750 grams?), the dose is tiny - only 0.1cc injected in the breast morning and night for 5 days. The vet could tell you how much to use on your little guys.

Let us know how they do. Anyone who has hatched very much has lost a lot of chicks at one point. Corid is something to keep on hand AT ALL TIMES. I just put all my chicks on it today. I noticed my bottle of Corid is getting low so I'm buying more tomorrow!

8. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    You can also use Sulmet for cocci. Jump on it quick though- I waited too long and lost my little gal.

9. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Quote:If there is any question I would also do it now rather than later. You can get Sulmet (SODIUM SULFAMETHAZINE) at almost any farm store. Use as directed and it will not hurt them even if they don't have it....but like Squishypuff....better SAFE than sorry.

Good Luck

10. elainag

Jun 15, 2011
    sulmet and corid. im on it!

going to tsc right now to buy it.

thanks everyone!

im really glad i found this site...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by