Do my chicks have colds?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Time-Out, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I have four 1 week-old chicks and I've noticed two of them sneeze occasionally.

I've been taking them out of the brooder for the past few days days, once a day, while I replace the paper towel in the brooder. They seem to love the running around and pecking/scratching at the carpet (they're in the study). I have to go on poo patrol afterwards, but they seem to really enjoy being able to stretch their little legs.

Today, I sat on the floor with them for a bit. A couple of them sneezed, I thought it was just because they were eating fluff and not enjoying it, but then a drop of clear liquid landed on my hand after a sneeze. Do you think they have a cold? They haven't been shivering or noisey about their brooder conditions. They eat well and drink well (medicated food and plain water). Other than what they may find in the carpet, they don't get fed anything extra.

Has anyone had this before? Am I heading for a major illness?

Edit: thought I'd better mention that they're not bedding on shavings or anything, just paper towels.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Chickens do not get what we would consider a cold, but they can get respiratory infections.
    If your chickens were sneezing occasionally without any discharge or other symptoms I would tell you not to worry; they do sneeze occasionally. Even without dusty shavings, chicks still sneeze from all the dander floating around as they get their first feathers. However, with a discharge it could be an illness or again, nothing to worry about.
    I am contacting a moderator on your behalf to ask that your thread be moved to the emergencies section. There you'll likely find quicker and more helpful advice.

Good luck. [​IMG]

3. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Thank you for your help [​IMG]

I do hope it's nothing serious! I haven't taken them out of the brooder today for their daily run, as I have been. I thought it best they stay in the warm - just in case. The rascals have been turning the place upside down. They're like kids that need wearing out lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by