1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do my chicks have worms?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lrybacki, Apr 22, 2016.

1. lrybacki

lrybacki New Egg

Apr 22, 2016
    Hillsboro, OR
    Hi everyone! Totally new poster here, and totally new to chickens (and totally panicking about everything). Can anyone tell me if this looks like a worm, or just really thin baby chick poop? Do worms break apart?[​IMG]

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Those look most like shed intestinal lining, which can be normal. The absolute earliest you will see worms in a chicks poop is at 3 weeks old due to parasitic life cycles.

3. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Unless chicks have been exposed to other chickens that may carry an infestation, or possible egg infested soil, either by spending time outside, or soil placed in their brooder, it's highly unlikely that they will have worms. You can start treating them as preventative when they are a bit older, a vet friend of mine recommended I wait until mine are 1 month old at least.

5. lrybacki

lrybacki New Egg

Apr 22, 2016
    Hillsboro, OR
    Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the responses, and the poop chart! I'll make sure I keep an eye on their droppings. :)

6. Edelanoy1

Edelanoy1 New Egg

Apr 10, 2016
    Hi! I am having the same situation with my 2 day old chicks. My first thought was also worms which got me very nervous! I still don't know if it is worms, but I understand I can't treat them this young. Any ideas???[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by