Do my chicks love their Ecoglow TOO much?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rachelcb80, Nov 29, 2011.

1. rachelcb80

rachelcb80 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Mississippi
    I have three, three day old chicks who up until today have been in their brooder under a regular 'ole heat lamp. One Ameraucana chick and two Seramas (yes, it's an odd looking group). They have been behaving like chicks should, sleeping for periods under the light, running around a little, eating, drinking, rinse, wash and repeat. Today my Ecoglow came in so I took the heat lamp down and put the Ecoglow in. The Ecoglow is in the same spot the heat lamp heat was and everything else is the same (feed, water, etc). They instantly took to the Ecoglow and I thought, "Oh how cute, they love it". A couple hours later I was getting worried though. They tucked up under that thing and went to sleeping heavier than I've seen them sleep thus far. I tried to coax them out by scratching their feed around but they weren't even studying that. I finally took the Ecoglow out. They pouted for a minute then noticed their feed. They made a beeline for the feed and went to town on it. Ate and ate then drank and drank. When they had obviously had their fill I put the Ecoglow back in. They went right back to it and right back to sleeping like a rock. Maybe I'm silly and just a total worry wort but they won't starve themselves, will they? It seems like they don't want to leave the Ecoglow at all but they will when they get hungry or thirsty enough, right?

2. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    Mine are the same way. But I also keep a light on them during the day so its not totally dark all day long. When I turn the light on in the morning they all come running out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by