1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do my chicks need a dust bath if they free range?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by saraem, May 5, 2016.

1. saraem

saraem Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    Our chicks free range in the backyard for 1-4 hours a day (usually 2-3) depending on how much time we can spend out there with them. Dust bathing is definitely on their agenda each time they go out.

My question is, is a once-a-day dust bath enough or should I provide them a pan in the brooder also?

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    It should be enough while thy're outside, just be carefully taking them out mid-bath because they are FILLED with dirt and they shake it all over me XD

3. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

If you want, you can build them a nice dust bath, but any patch of bare ground is going to be used for dust bathing. Try to locate the dust bath in an area that they will use and where it will remain dry.

[​IMG]

It's instinctual for them, they'll find a nice dry location and start...er...bathing. I have not planted my garden yet, so at the moment the communal dust bath for the flock is the nice dark, rich, fluffy soils of the garden. Once they pick an area, the dimensions of the dust bath may grow in size, unless you frame it with a boundary...

[​IMG]
    Dust baths can get pretty active and actually fun the watch. Believe it or not, in this photo there are 6 chicks and a duck.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  4. saraem

saraem Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    We always get a kick out of their dust-bathing antics, too.

Once our coop is finished I'll probably install a dust bath in the covered run, but I'd rather not create any more dust inside than I have to while they're in the brooder!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by