1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Do my chicks need heat at 22* tonight?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by QChickieMama, Mar 14, 2017.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Songster

Oct 1, 2011
    My chicks were hatched 1/1/17 (so they're 2.5 months). I've had them outdoors for about 3 weeks now. I live in central NC with moderate winters. They had a heat lamp on for the cold nights, but honestly, they roost far away from the heat lamp.

Now that we're having cold temps again, down to 22*, I am thinking they need their heat again.

Tonight the rain leaked through a tarp and ruined the heat lamp. Should I rig new heat for them tonight or not?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Crowing

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If you got a place out the wind, out the rain, they will be fine! And no metal roost poles----them can give them some cold feet.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  3. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Songster

Oct 1, 2011
    Shouldn't rain tonight. As for the wind, they have a tarp roof and tarp on two adjacent walls, but they roost where they roost, some of them away from the tarp's protection. The wind chill will be down to 8*. Gee, I'm nervous.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Crowing

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You already said they roosted way away from the heat lamp when you had it on-----it would not do any good to have it on again---unless you had a tight coop that you were trying to heat. Again I feel you will be fine. Chickens can puff up to make their down coat as thick as they need it. It will probably be below 25 here tonight too.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  5. birds4kids

birds4kids Songster

May 15, 2015
    Wind chill doesn't matter if they are out of the wind. If it makes you feel better and it was just the heat bulb that is shot put an incandescent bulb in.

6. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Songster

Oct 1, 2011
    OK. Great. Thanks for the reassurance.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Securing the tarp, or replacing with something more sturdy, is way more important than putting up a heat lamp.
    Was 14F here last night, but my birds are in a solid wind and waterproof coop.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

8. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Songster

Oct 1, 2011
    It's a chain-link dog run with one side used for the roof. Tarp was for rain, but I had no idea how much the weather would shred them.

9. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Crowing

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Tarps are only temporary as you have found out----these cheaper ones anyway. Sure you can order high dollar tarps that will last years if they do not get holes torn in them, But I would just find some used tin and fix the problem. Wet chickens are dead chickens if its freezing and they can not dry.

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    It’s morning. How did they do?

Could you please post a photo so we can get a better idea of your set-up and where they slept? How cold was it? That could be educational.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by