Do my chicks still need their heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nflchickengirl, Jun 23, 2016.

1. nflchickengirl

nflchickengirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    I live in FL and currently we are in 90 degree weather and stagnant nights of 80s. Chicks are 4.5 weeks, 98% fully feathered (a few Down spots in their neck and that's it) and seem to be hot with the lamp on, even when it's raised up. They finally stopped panting and seemed more comfortable with the lamp off (I turned it off earlier at 7 and they were sleeping comfortably and quiet up til I turned it back on now at 930pm. They are outdoors on our securely screened in patio/carport area. Should I leave the lamp off since they seem more comfortable or do they absolutely have to have it for the next week and a half?

Just trying to see what more experienced chick raisers have to say!

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They haven't 'needed' the heat lamp since they were about 2.5 weeks old. At those temps, there is no reason to keep that heat lamp on.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    If they're panting it's too warm for them so during the day I would definitely turn the light off. 80s sound "warm enough" as long as there's no draft or breeze where they are being housed. Depending on how many you got, you could make up a card board box turned on it's side with some shavings it that they can "huddle" for body warmth if they get chilled.

I live in HI, know what you're going through trying to decide whether to turn off the light at night, think it's the draft or breeze that could cause them to chill. During the summer months it's alot warmer than winter so I tend to use less heat light but this year will be trying out the MHP, read it's "the way to go".

Give more a chance to peep in, then you decide.

4. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    As long as they are fully feathered they do not need the heat lamp any longer. Yours are considered fully feathered.

5. nflchickengirl

Jun 13, 2016
    Thanks all! We moved out first girls out to the coop when it was still cool. These late spring babies had me guessing lol. They were panting in the early evening when it was 88 out still but today was stagnant with no breeze. Other days of 88 or more and breezes they have been fine.There's just the two of them (vs 5 in our first group!) so I wasn't sure if different rules apply for 2 either. It was so icky out tonight even the dog didn't want to be out...and usually we are fighting to get him inside. I think ill go turn the light off for tonight :)

6. selimseker

selimseker New Egg

Dec 8, 2014
    My story
    One of my hen started to sit on 4 eggs back in memorial day weekend. I put some more eggs in an incubator same days.
    First 4 chics were hatched than the 2 from incubator.
    I put them with mama hen.
    They all looked healthy there was newspaper on the bottom of of the coop and they were alltogether mama hen and you chick's with no other chickens
    The third day on I started to loose all of the baby chicks and in a week I losteoporosis all of them
    What went wrong?
    I did not use heat lamp since mama hen was taken care of them.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  7. nflchickengirl

Jun 13, 2016
    I'm sorry you lost your babies! These babies did great overnight without theirs on.. But they are at 98 and 99% feathered right now and will be 5 weeks on tuesday. They were way too hot with it on. I've had it off all day today and last night and they have been Comfortable.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What ever reason your chicks died, it was not because they got too cold if the hen was doing her job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by