Do my ducks need a heat lap 24/7

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducks-love-me, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Ducks-love-me

Ducks-love-me Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2013
    I want to take my baby ducks in a pet stroller outside on walks will they be okay if I load up the stroller with blankets and have a towel? And does anyone know how to make a duck diaper? I am 13 and new to ducks so please no rude comments :/ I feel dumb even posting this :(

:/

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Well it depends. Whereabouts are you generally located, as in, what are your weather and temperatures? A word of caution, it is possible for human babies to fall from strollers, so if you put ducklings into a stroller, you will need to be extremely cautious that they don't fall out. Plus you will want a poop-management strategy. Ducklings pooping all over a stroller = Gross. Not being mean, but my general feeling is that ducklings would be happier walking around in grass than being pushed around in a stroller.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ducks-love-me,

Welcome to the Duck Forum!

Please do not feel dumb posting it. I find myself kind of wishing I could take my ducks more places. There are some practical issues as HollyDuckFarmer mentions.

At the same time, I like to dream a little, and some forum members are very creative and enthusiastic. I think you will like this.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...chicago-my-ducks-celebrate-their-4th-birthday

Now that you are inspired, I am wondering if it is summer or winter where you are? The general rule of thumb is ducklings need to be at 90F their first week, then down by about 5 degrees a week after that, more or less.

Have you read this?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Hope to hear more from you. I have found that most of the time, this is a very friendly and helpful forum. Probably 97% of the time. There's always a party pooper in every bunch, and sometimes we can get really intense if we are worried about a duck or a person. But I hope you understand that.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  4. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG]
    As Amiga says, there is no dumb question. Please read the links she posted and post photos when you can. We all like to see photos of ducks, especially little ones! Good luck!

5. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    Okay thanks! I was thinking the stroller so they don't wander into the road. I live in michigan. If I watch them will they be okay?

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would keep them . . . wait a minute . . . how old are the littles?

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Well first [​IMG] it is nice to know you have an interest in ducks .....
    ebay has dippers for chickens try there and ask the seller if these will
    fit a duck and let them know the kind of duck you have .....

gander007 [​IMG]

8. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I know there are a few members who have house ducks. If you search the topic of house ducks you will find a lot of very helpful info on duck diapers.

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    So, what I was thinking is that if they are ducklings, and you are in Michigan, it may be really cold and that would be unhealthy for them.

Then I was thinking, it was 60F today in southern New England. Maybe Michigan is having a warm spell.

But it depends on the ducklings' age how warm they need to be.

I must say, I would resist the urge, and keep them in where it is warm and there is less likely to be adventure right now.

Lord willing, there will be time for going outside together in the spring.

Ducklings can get into the craziest trouble, they can surprise us with the goofy and sometimes dangerous things they get into. Really.

10. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    Okay thanks :) I will keep them in my basement then (it's heated) thanks a ton from everyone :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by