do my eggs stand a chance ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jessaw1981, Sep 21, 2010.

1. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    I woke up at 6 am to find that my wonderful bator was on 70' I turned and checked them at 10 pm last night. well it was an act of congress to get get this home made thing apart. lol but at about 2 pm today found out it was the clicky thing in the thermostat thing so we un stuck it and I did not want to give the eggs up so I put them back in. this is day 7 or 8 do Yall think they will make it ? Any input please first time using this bator and first time with chicken eggs lol. And how long do they take to hatch ?

2. LuvMyPeeps7

LuvMyPeeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Lexington
    Have you tried candling them? It takes about 21 days to hatch. Mine are on day 10 and I had a spike of 105 but I candled them last night and they are all still alive! Chicken eggs right?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    They should be fine, the internal temp of the egg doesnt change as fast as the air temp.

4. jessaw1981

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    Quote:I candled last night before all this happened. I could see the veins in all the ones I candled but 1 I think I did 6 I was really wanting to get them back in lol. wi they move at this point ? I got them from a lady up the street who said her hen had been on them 3 days and she did not want chicks right now. So I said sure I have had them 4 days I think its wrote down in my phone but that's about right!

5. LuvMyPeeps7

LuvMyPeeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Lexington
    They should be fine, eggs are really sturdy little things, I acidentally dropped mine 3 inches from bater onto counter and he's still kicken. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Hope all goes well!

6. jessaw1981

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    Quote:thanks I hope so. I was just worried cause I don't know what time last night it went out till 2 this afternoon. I went on a hunt for turkey eggs. We just lost our favorite pet he was a tom turkey. 5 mo. got attacked by our dog and died. so went to the lady up the street who has a zillion turkeys hoping I could get eggs and she had none they had already quit laying. But said I could have threes her hen had been on them 3 days and she did not want any chicks right now !

7. jessaw1981

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    today is day 18 ( lock down right ) so its safe to say that I can candle and the ones that don't fill up the egg that I can take out ?

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have read SO many posts about how people almost tossed eggs at lockdown, but just left them in and they hatched. You might want to give them a chance.

Not if they smell bad though- those can explode.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by