Do my girls need a rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by noahsark, Aug 11, 2010.

1. noahsark

noahsark Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    I had 6 light brahmas, one rooster, 5 hens..they have been with eachother for 5 years, and always travle together..this morning i found Mike the rooster dead..the girls are sitting by his grave mourning..it is so sad, didnt know they felt so deeply..I have a rooster in a batch of seperate chickens, that im rasing for food..he is a different breed. I wnoder if i should keep him, so they have a new leader, or do they need one...Hes a dominanat rooster, and i wonder if he killed Mike..No way to know..its so sad..i have to decide by fri (when they go to get culled) if i should keep him or not...

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    You do not need a rooster. Your top hen will take on most of the rooster responsabilities (notice I said most). Personally though I think roosters are tons of fun & they will watch out for predators too. But its not a necessity if you are not hatching eggs from your own birds.

3. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    You certainly don't need one. Keep in mind that when you introduce a new older one, they may fight, and a new young one may get beaten up. My roo was KIA a few weeks ago and I haven't slept this well in 3 years! I do have an up and coming roo that I wanted for breeding, I just hope he isn't as mean or noisy as the old one. If he is, I am getting rid of him.

It was strange, when other chickens have died or been killed the remainder never even noticed. However, this time, they seemed a little at a loss for about 2 days. They got over it quickly though and all seem a little calmer--especially the ones that he used to abuse. So... personal choice, I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by