Do my hatching eggs have to be clean?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ctcasper, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ctcasper

ctcasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    My husband has been collecting eggs for me to incubate, but it is spring here and some of them are pretty dirty, how do I handle that. He is collecting them all throughout the day, but the get dirty so fast. Any suggestions or does it even matter?

2. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    It is to reduce risk of putting bacteria in the bator with the eggs.

3. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Usually you don't want to set really dirty eggs but whatever you do don't wash them. Its been raining here and I'm losing alot of hatching eggs because of the mud on them. The chances of them hatching is a lot slimmer. I just don't do it.

4. ctcasper

ctcasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    Okay, how long can we keep eggs until they can't be incubated. we started collecting 4 or 5 days ago and have just 20 eggs, we only have 7 hens and are only getting 4 eggs a day average right now. So, do I just incubate the ones I have that are fairly clean, or is it okay to wait another day or two so I can replace the dirty ones with clean ones???

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    You can wait up to about a week with good results and can go longer if you dont mind the chance of lessend viablity.
    I would say if its a diffrence between them going to waste and washing them up go ahead and try giveing them a gental rub down with a slightly damp paper towl or something. I have 15/16 washed eggs grow one hatched that was set on the 5th and 14 more are on day 19 with all of them haveing chicks in them though I did not see movement in one when I candled day 18. I think its worth a shot but Im new to this good luck.
    The one that hatched by its self had a diffrent day I set it as it was cracked and I was useing it as a test egg till it decided to grow on me and so I put it with the others when I set them five days later.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Wait till the dirt is dry then brush what you can off, if its still got dirt you can "Sand" off the extra with a scrubby type sponge(dont know the official name sortof like a SOS pad but plastic.

7. Pagemaker

Pagemaker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    You can wash them and they will hatch.

8. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Quote:Perhaps, but you're taking a huge chance if you wash off the natural bloom, which acts as a protective barrier to germs. Better to just brush them off lightly, as others have said.

9. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Im new so I really shoudnt count but I have had a better growth rate with my washed eggs so far then any of my other eggs shipped or local alike. I am not saying you should wash eggs , just about everything you read says you should not , But If its the diffrence in tossing out a dozen eggs or washing htem and putting them in , what are you loseing. Just my opinion , [​IMG]

10. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    im not sure how long you can keep eggs but i do know they will last longer if you put them in an egg carton and if you switch elevating each side. that way the yolk dont stick to the shell. it will be kind of like when the mom gets in her nest she stirs the eggs up not meaning to but it helps the yolk. and i would think they would last a few weeks considering that the hen doesnt sit on them right away. hope i have helped and good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by