do my hen ducks think there chickens???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hatchie42, Jan 23, 2012.

1. hatchie42

hatchie42 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    okay. so. i have a rouen hen and a buff hen. the last few weeks they have practically been begging for it from the rooster and i dont have a drake. do they really want him? should i get them a drake? and do you think they want to brood if so will they if given the oppurtunities? sounds very wrong and strange but i have seen it and what they do is get in front of the rooser and lay down flat on the ground. and they only do it right after he gets done with 1 of his hens. please is there anyone else that has seen this? or are my ducks just very confused?

2. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    No, they are not confused...just broody. They are trying to attract a mate by flattening and giving the signal to "come & get it"....

Some call that behavior surfing...

Duck wants to Surf.....ok, tell 'em to get a room.

My little mallard hen will do this because she is mateless and has her urges....she even flattens when I walk up... I have to reach for her in front of her beak so I do not touch her from behind, or she thinks shes about to get lucky...
    And I tell her sorry, no surfing today sweetie.. I don;t have a drake thats suitable for her, my Rouen drake is far too big and would probably kill her. She is so small that my drake doesn't even see her as a hen...he thinks she is still a duckling. Just a kid.

This particular hen is also slightly confused having been raised around chickens...hence her name, "Chicky" because she clucks like a chicken. Pure duck and 90% mallard...she clucks. She even struts like a chicken. It's embarrassing.

3. hatchie42

Jul 3, 2011
    so do you think i should get them a drake and see what happens?

4. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY

I swear, your duck stories are the greatest!

My girls do the whole surfing thing with eachother. In their pond, in a puddle, on the grass, problem being... No drakes here.

5. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I have a mallard that's putting the moves on my dog. She's hot for anything that moves right now. And unfortunately for her, my drake isn't quite old enough to know what she's wanting from him. :)

6. bexnd

bexnd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    maybe its cause you call them hens LOL is that an american thing?? in england we have drakes obviously male and ducks female. hens are just female chickens

7. bexnd

bexnd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    i have the opposite problem my drake is wanting what he cant have and is to confused. keeps comin after me grabs one boot by the laces hopes on the other boot and sometimes just stands infront of me doing a little dance with his wings spread out.

8. hatchie42

Jul 3, 2011
    wellll.....she got what she wanted. from 1 of the hormone imbalanced 7 month old roosters.........i dont think she liked it.....the rooster obviously couldnt accually do anything to her but he tried and she has stayed away from the chickens ever since! lol :) i think thats a good thing..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by