Do my hens experience ''labor'' as they are laying an egg??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mmtillman, Sep 16, 2009.

1. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

I noticed my hens often appear to pant when they are sittin in the nexting box?? Does that mean they are laboring as they expel the egg? Today is not a hot day at all...in the mid 60* s...so heat would not be a factor. None of the others are panting either. So can I assume my girls are ''breathing and pushing" ??
    I had one hen sit in the next for atleast an hour before she layed...while some of the others arent in there 15 min and are done.
    Just wondering about this today as I watch my hens in the box.....? [​IMG]

N-e-s-t I really can spell..LOL!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    CoolD likes this.
  2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I, personally, think it is kind of like labor. I, too, have seen my hens lay eggs. It looks like the "pushing" part of labor. I don't think that they have the rest of the experiences though.

If I am wrong, please someone correct me.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I've always wondered that. My Grandpa, a man of Bibicial wisdom, pulled down his Bible and read the verses from Genesis about a woman experiencing pain during childbirth. He went on to explain that it didn't say a thing about animals. So, I believe that animals don't experience the pain like a human female would. I believe they still feel the need to push so they know they need to lay an egg. I hope that makes since!

4. fordmommy

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I don't know about that. Every time my momma kitty had her kittens, she was obviously in pain during her labor.

5. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Quote:I don't know about that. Every time my momma kitty had her kittens, she was obviously in pain during her labor.

Same thing with my old dog(how passed away a while ago. She was in pain for sure. I think hens feel little pain...
    [​IMG]

6. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    I always wondered that too...

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I live near a cattle farm and I've laid awake all night listening to a cow (obviously in labor). I'd have to say animals absolutely feel pain during labor.

8. fordmommy

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Yeah! I forgot about THAT sound. You KNOW it hurts for sure!

9. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

Someone posted on here that chicken's bones are very limber and their pelvis is wider and more flexible. Yes, my hens pant too. They must feel that intense urge to push, but I don't think it hurts them.

10. Sebrite_97

Sebrite_97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Jacksonville Fl.
    My hens just screem somtimes wen there layin an egg so i know ther in som pain. they often breath in and out loudly after words. they must feel pain [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by