Do my hens need aprons?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Attila the Hen, May 8, 2011.

1. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Four out of five of my hens are losing their feathers on their backs from the rooster mounting them. They don't seem to be uncomfortable and it is warm enough out. Should I get aprons for them?
    thanks

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i do when that happens, because i don't want anyone to start feather picking-

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've used them a couple of times because I was afraid the next step would be cut skin, without the feathers to protect them. I don't think they are that warm, not as warm as the down and feathers they lost, I wouldn't think.

4. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Thanks for the responses. I wonder if I need more girls for the rooster. He doesn't seem overly amorous as far as I can tell although I must say he's not much of a gentleman. He chases them around and they basically put up with him. Otherwise he is a wonderful rooster--very attentive finding tidbits and protective. I am very attached to him and wouldn't want to give him up. I just hate seeing the girls lose their feathers because he is developing his spurs.

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    if he is young, he will settle down eventually- if you can, i'd add a few more hens- i had to do that and it does help- less stress on the hens- also, remember the spurs are for defense of him and his ladies, and its best to let them keep the spurs if possible

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by