1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do my Sick Chicks need Heat for Winter?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by -Alt, Nov 20, 2016.

1. -Alt

-Alt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    The North
    I have seven chicks, mostly bantams, about four months old, and I believe they have some manner of respiratory disease. I have separated them from the older chickens, but I am worried they aren't going to be warm enough over the winter. I was wondering at what temperature they should get heat, or if anyone thinks they need heat at all. Having a heat lamp in the barn terrifies me, but if they need heat I'm not sure of an alternative.

I live in Canada where the the temperature now and then reaches -32° Celsius (-25° F)

Thanks,
    Alt

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens with respiratory illnesses usually need extra heat when they are sick. Is there any way you could bring them inside to a spare room or basement? Most people try to keep the temp around 75-80F for chickens who can't regulate their body temperatures. Bantams, even when healthy, might need a little bit of extra heat with a lamp, when temps are below15-20 F degrees. I have raised a handful of different bantams, and usually add a heat lamp when we have a couple of weeks 15 or below. Heat lamps are indeed dangerous to use, and must be carefully secured, and kept at least 18 inches from chickens.

3. -Alt

-Alt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    The North
    I may have to work on my parents before getting them in the house, but that would certainly be my first choice. Thank you for the advice! I really don't want to have a heat lamp in the barn, so I'm wondering if they've be happier a trailer we have, just in case of a fire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by