Do Nipple Waterers Provide Enough Water??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wsdareme, Sep 29, 2011.

1. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I have two 5-gallon buckets, one inside and one outside, each with 3 nipple waterers. I had a 5-gallon galvanized waterer inside the coop, but it was a hassle for me to fill and pack inside, so we replaced it with a 5-gallon bucket with 3 nipple waterers.

My egg production has dropped from an average of 15 eggs per day to as low as 3 eggs per day. I know some of the girls are molting, but not THAT many. I put the galvanized waterer back in the coop today and it looked like those poor hens hadn't had a drop to drink in days. They swarmed the waterer. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now, I KNOW that they've been using the nipple waterers both inside and outside. Is it possible that they are simply not getting enough to drink from them? [​IMG]

I sure don't want to have to start packing that heavy galvanized waterer again. My back is killing me. [​IMG]

2. drill a small hole in the top if you have a lid on them. sometimes that helps water flow when the nipple is activated.

3. wsdareme

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    We actually have a hole in the lid already, large enough for a hose to fit for filling...

4. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    I have a two gallon bucket with 2 nipples in the coop day and night. When I let them out in the morning they immediately go to the bowl for water.The nipples work and they use it, but they really get a big gulp of water from the bowl.And yes my top has holes in it.

5. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    It is suggested to have 1 nipple per 3 to 4 chickens. We have 26 birds ( large breed) 2 buckets with 5 nipples each. But in the winter we go down to one bucket. You may just want to add a couple more nipples to your bucket.

6. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    I have 2 - 5 gallon buckets with 3 nipples each and 10 chickens. They also have a small pool of water. They drink from the pool some, but in the heat I keep the water in the buckets cold so they prefer the nipples and only occasionally drink from the pool. So I would assume that they get plenty from the nipples. However, if yours do not, I would definitely add another water source!

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:x2

8. wsdareme

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:x2

As I said in an earlier post, there is already a hole in the lid of each bucket -- big enough to insert a water hose.

9. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I prefer the cup drinkers with the little valve. I think they can get the water easier if they can submerge their beaks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by