Do normal mallard ducklings dive down???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xxalykxx, May 1, 2009.

1. xxalykxx

xxalykxx Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Arizona
    Recently, I saw a bunch of mallard-looking ducklings diving about 2 to 3 feet under the water, staying submerged for almost three seconds. It is the first time I have ever seen malllards or any breed of newborn ducklings dive down that far or staying under that long. They were only about 2 1/2, some being close to 3-4 inches long, very teeny!
    SOOOOO cute!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    yup, some do, especially if they are wild. Mine do a bit at times...except the ones that don't like to swim....

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Yes they dive, it is usually the best place to hide.

4. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    We just recently got baby Mallards, and they do the same thing. The first time they did, I thought they drowned. [​IMG] I had no idea they could stay under water for that long. [​IMG]

Paula

5. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Boy do they my mallards are big time divers...Even my 3 week old babies..The first thing they do when I put them in the tub is go diving....I need some fish [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  6. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    In the wild, to escape predators, ducklings will dive, grasp hold of a piece of a plant and hold on so they don't float back up. I don't know how long they can stay submerged like this but it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by