DO NOT OPEN (incubator) Questions...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IzatKaren, Feb 25, 2013.

1. IzatKaren

IzatKaren Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    I've read a million times "do not open while hatching"... But I have a couple of questions about this...

1. If I have two chicks that hatched today (Monday) and then have some hatch Tuesday, then on Wednesday - when should I open the incubator?

2. What if they skip a day - should I open and remove Chicks that were born today tomorrow or wait?

3. What if you see an egg that has the outer shell busted but you see the inner lining? Should you open the incubator and help?

Thanks! Enjoying my first time experiencing the miracle of chicken birth! And once again, thanks to all of you who have done this a zillion times! Glad there are folks like you to help out novices like me!

KK

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

1) a chick can stay in the incubator for 48 hrs, but after that you should take them out. if you are worried about humidity, when you take the chicks out, mist the air with hot water.
    2) The above should answer that
    3) I would leave it alone for 48 hrs. if it hasn't gotten out yet, and is still alive, I would remove some of the lining, and mist it with warm water, and wait again for a couple of hours.
    hope this helps!

3. IzatKaren

Feb 23, 2013
    Thank you! One more question...

How high is too high humidity? I'm currently at 80% with two hatched and three eggs rocking.

If humidity gets to high, do I briefly open to dissipate?

KK

4. salt and pepper

definitely wouldn't let it get higher. most people say between 65-75

5. IzatKaren

Feb 23, 2013
    I have both plugs open! Not sure how to dissipate the humidity unless I open, but not sure that it a good idea?

6. salt and pepper

as long as it doesn't get HIGHER I would leave it. If it get's higher, open the lid for a few moments to let some humidity out. Good time to get the dry chicks out as well =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by