Do older ducklings still peep?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by desertdarlene, Aug 10, 2010.

1. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I was observing some of the older female mallards where I live. There was one female, I think she is Butterscotch and she's about 9 1/2 weeks old, or she could be another female duckling that is slightly younger, whom I thought I heard making peeping sounds like a duckling. An older drake, 3 year old "Sir Francis Drake", approached her with interest and that's when I heard the peeping sound start. She was facing away from me, so I didn't see her bill moving. After she peeped, she turned around he put his head down like he was going to charge her, but put it back up when she moved away from him.

She's not old enough to breed and I wonder if maybe she was indicating to him that she's still a baby. But, I thought they get their "quack" way before then. I've never heard her or her sisters make any sound before, even peeping. We do still have ducklings being hatched and, perhaps it was a baby hiding nearby. However, the peeping stopped after Butterscotch moved far enough away from Sir Francis.

Also, a side question, do drakes breed when they go through their eclipse molt? I see some females flirting with them, but they seem to show a lot less interest than when they have their green heads.

Here is a photo of Butterscotch:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. chickincoop

chickincoop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    We have Muscovies (different breed, I know) and our oldest babies are 12 weeks old. They have been "peeping" less and less since about 8 weeks, but I still hear peeps out of both sexes occasionally. Funny sound coming from a 10 pound male! They are more likely to make that baby peeping noise when they are distressed about something. I think your older duckling probably WAS peeping because that naughty boy was making her feel uncomfortable:/!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Thanks! That's what I was wondering. I never heard any of those three girls make any noise at all except the "yum yum" sound when they're eating food they like. It was strange. I've never heard them quack, either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by