Do older hens go broody?*Update Already!!*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by justafewchickens, Sep 19, 2011.

1. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    I have a barred rock hen that is about 4 or 5 years old. She has never went broody on me. Two weeks ago I had a bantam setting eggs. I go to feed them and the barred rock is sitting on them. I think oh no, she is sick. I check her eyes and body and she is fine.

I think she is sick though, since she didn't act protective of the eggs. Now she will peck me, and seems determined to hatch them. I candled the eggs,and there is movement.

My question is, has this happened to anyone else? I was bummed at first, thought she would ruin the eggs to hatch since my incubator gave up the ghost. Now I'm happy,just puzzled. She has never gone broody before now.
    Thank you

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'm no expert but my understanding is that they are most likely to go broody in their first year and if it hasn't happened by then, the chances become less likely as time goes on. That said, I had an 18-month-old BSL go broody for the first time just last month so its not impossible for an older hen to brood - just less likely.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Depends on the hen. I`ve had 10 year old hens bood and raise a clutch. Laying seems to slow with age, but the old gals make good moms........Pop

4. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Well, I guess she answered for me! Went to check on them and she came out and I thought I jinxed her. Well I hear a peep! I go around to check in the henhouse and in the nest ( bucket) is a chick still a little damp. She made it there before me and got in and started to move the eggs under her,and the chick went in too. She seems to be a calm mother so far, and wanted to show off. So I guess old hens can learn new tricks! ; )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by