1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do only roosters have spurs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littledon, Nov 28, 2012.

1. littledon

littledon Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    NorthEast Mississippi
    I have a rhode island red that was supposed to be a hen but it has spurs and I think it tried to crow this morning. Always thought it looked like a rooster.

2. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

if it is the bird in your avatar near the chicken house, that is a roo. However, hens can have spurs but not all that common. They don't often crow

3. AprilsFrizzles

AprilsFrizzles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Some game hens will get spurs. If it crowed I would definitely say it's a rooster. Do you have a picture of it?

4. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I had a Red Sex Link hen that had 1/2 inch spurs but if the bird in question is crowing, then I would say its probably a rooster. (I never caught my hen crow.)

5. littledon

Nov 2, 2012
    NorthEast Mississippi
    I will get some pictures when i get home. I have two reds, one i know is rooster, it crowed since i got it a month ago but the tail looks like a hen. The one with the tail straight up looks more like a rooster but has never crowed. This morning it tried to crow but it loked like it was trying so hard and barely made noise but it was a cock-a-doodle-do

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    [​IMG]
    my sliver laced polish HEN with more spur than the roo

7. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    If I saw that chicken I would totally guess it to be a rooster...shows how much I know.

8. littledon

Nov 2, 2012
    NorthEast Mississippi
    Here are some pics. The one with the small tail has always crowed, I thought the tail was the give away but it's a rooster. the one with the big tail had never crowed till it kind of almost crowed this morning. The picture says rooster I would guess.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. AprilsFrizzles

AprilsFrizzles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Oh yeah. Definitely a rooster. He has the saddle feathers and the hens won't have the big green tail feathers like that. He's very pretty!

10. those are both roos fo sho, look at them saddle feathers and that big sickly feather coming off the tail, even its stance and stature says rooster, rir hens rarely have that much green in the tail, if its a hen my entire life is a lie lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by