Do other chickens not know that silkies are....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Nov 17, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    chickens?

The reason I ask - When my younger flock gets too close to a member of the older flock, there's sometimes some minor chasing. When both flocks eat scratch together the youngsters know to keep out of the adults way. The exception being the silkies. They mingle freely with the older chickens.

DH and I were speculating on this. He thinks it's because the silkies have fuzz and not feathers, so perhaps the adults view them as chicks. I think it's because the adults don't even realize the silkies are chickens.

Your guess?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't think standards recognize them as chickens... or they don't see them as a threat so could care less.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I wondered about that too, since my adult birds don't mind the sparrows and finches hanging around but will chase a bigger wild bird. Lil'Bit (deceased) chased my one silkie once, but she also would chase the sparrows.

4. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    my silkie hen rules the roost! I'm not kidding the LF hens stay away from her or pay the price of a quick peck to the foot.she is so small but oh so mighty!! We call her Mighty mouse [​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Wendy'sChicksRock :

my silkie hen rules the roost! I'm not kidding the LF hens stay away from her or pay the price of a quick peck to the foot.she is so small but oh so mighty!! We call her Mighty mouse [​IMG]

That's how my one silkie is with her cornish X flockmates. She pushes those big birds around and if she wants to move and they are in her way, she jumps on their backs and walks over them. It's a riot. [​IMG]

6. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Silky's are just plain brave. I have 2 hens and 1 roo, the hens rule, and they are not afraid of any one bigger!

7. Wendy'sChicksRock

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    HAve you ever seen the PBS special Natural History of the Chicken... I still cry when Lilah saves her babies [​IMG] If you have not seen it you can watch it on Youtube....

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Wendy'sChicksRock :

HAve you ever seen the PBS special Natural History of the Chicken... I still cry when Lilah saves her babies [​IMG] If you have not seen it you can watch it on Youtube....

Yes, I saw that before I got my two silkies.

I'm all bummed out cuz everyone is telling me that my Jethro is a cockerel. [​IMG]

9. Wendy'sChicksRock

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    oh that stinks.... My friends Silkie roo is on his last chance..He keeps attacking her.( she cant go near his hens) he 12 son is the only one who can handle him.. Can you swap out the roo for another hen?

10. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    That is an interesting thought. How does regular chickens view silkies..

It seems that all of you agree that most chickens do not react normally to silkies, this may be confirming my original thoughts

Silkies are aliens, who are using their cuteness to conquer the world [​IMG] .

Why else would they have such weird feathers, blue bones, black skin? hmmmm

[​IMG]
    I must help them invade every home in America... I must go my silkies are calling...[​IMG]

Have a great silkie day!!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by