Do our Silkie Roo's matter?

GAGE

Songster
10 Years
May 22, 2010
GA
The story goes like this...
I started with a Welsummer Roo chick that was going to be the flock roo, but he went after my daughter once and wife twice, so he had to go. Purchased 4 straight run BO's, that went 2 for 2 hens to roo's, the roo's Little Jerry and Georgia also had to go. Purchased 4 Straight run BLRW and went 3 for 4 roo's to hens, 2 of the roos have been rehomed. I also bought 4 straight run silkies and and went 2/2 on hens to roo's, unfortunately we lost Sophie and are left with one hen.

We have 9, 25 week old hens, 2 BO, 2 Weslummers, 1 Ancona, 1 BR, 1 BA, 1 EE, and 1 Silkie. The BLRW is the dominant roo, do the silkie roo's count, do I need to add more hens if I keep them?

I thought about getting rid of them, but the family likes them.

Thanks for reading.

I would say keep them around and see how things go. If the BLRW is the boss, he may not even let them breed anyone. Also, I had a subordinate roo once that never even crowed until the dominant rooster was gone, because he wasn't allowed to do it before. Even if the boss roo lets them have a select couple of hens, or shares the whole flock (which I doubt) they are so little compared to the larger females, it may not be an issue. Also, the hens might not allow the little guys the chance...
wink.png

Silkie roos are still roos and have the same instincts as any other roo.

I've kept more than one roo in the same pen (with hens), right now I have 3 Showgirl Roos and an Old English Game Bantam roo in one pen with no conflict. It helps if they were raised together. One of the roos will be the dominant roo and get all the mating rights while the others get chased if they try to mate a hen. If one of the lesser roos tries to challenge the dominant roo, usually they just face off, jump at each other a few times and one runs off. If they really go at each other and hurt each other, then I would rehome a few roos.

My Silkie Roo was dominant for awhile but then my Silkie/D'Uccle Roo decided he wanted the job so my Silkie "stepped down". I've found all my Silkie roos to be pretty docile and easy going. I have 5 roos in my pen and they all get along fine. They seem to work it out amongst themselves who has what hens and what position in my run (they all take a different location - it's funny to watch them go to their post each day lol). I would keep them.

Last edited:
My standard roo is certainly the boss, the banty has never even tried anything with him. They get along very well, I would say so long as there isn't any fighting and the hens aren't being pestered to much (problem I had with my drake until his duck hens grew up) you should be okay. Just keep an eye on things.

Ok first things first. IMO. Silkies neither hen nor roo count as I do not believe silkies to be "real" chickens. They are aliens from another planet and I wouldn't have one and don't trust them. They are here to suck your brains out. If I were you I'd wear a tin foil hat cuz they can read your mind. Their cuteness is just a disquise to fool people into feeding and houseing them.

Now seriously. I have more than one roo and I had at one time a standard Del roo "Nick and a bantam frizzle roo Cowboy Curtis. Cowboy Curtis cuz everytime he "danced" with the big girls he looked like he was riding a horse.
Now as long as your BLRW and your Alien roo get along there should be no problem. It was histerical to watch Nick or Cowboy Curtis race across the yard to knock the other off a hen. Very funny. They never "fought" or tried to injure one another.
So I say keep them both.

Hope you come to your senses about silkies
lol.png

Rancher

Thanks everyone for the replies. I figure that we will keep them as we enjoy hearing them crow. Our BLRW is just now trying to crow due to the fact that has was the lowest on the dominance pole. I still want to add three more hens and our flock will be complete...atleast until the spring.

Back
Top Bottom