1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Owls attack Pheasants?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Franzen Farms, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Franzen Farms

Franzen Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wilmington, IL
    For the past two weeks I have a white barn owl that will land on my pen as the sun is setting every evening and just sit there checking everything out. So far he has done no damage I was just wondering if they attack pheasants or just looking for mice around the pen? He is a very large and beautiful bird, I'm trying to get a good picture of him but I just can't get close enough before he takes off.

2. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    I'm leaving this thread.
    Sorry to make such a mess of this thread.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What? How did that happen? Did the hawk carry the puppy away?

4. Redgolden1

Redgolden1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Upton ma.
    That must be a big hawk ! I saw a Turkey flying across a field once with a cat hanging off it !

5. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    I'm leaving this thread.
    Sorry to make such a mess of this thread.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  6. Redgolden1

Redgolden1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Upton ma.
    Wow amazing

7. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    I highly doubt a hawk took a dog puppy since hawks barley go after rabbits so how could a hawk kill a puppy that's bigger? They don't even go after adult hens for the most part if there big hens.. Something isn't right with your story unless it was a eagle

8. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    yes your right here. Hawks wouldnt be able to take a puppy. The only birds bold enough to hunt large mammalian carnivores are large eagles. Such as goldens. As for the barn owl i doubt he would attack any adult pheasants. He is probably their for mice which will be attracted to feed. He will however have no objections to taking a chick or grower

9. peeweesfarm

peeweesfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2013
    Willow Alaska
    [​IMG]
    These bad boys hang around my coop, They are Bald Eagles as far as I know they have yet to try to swoop down on my girls I have left a few trees around the coop to deter the birds of pray from swooping into my out side run, there for the girls enjoy a good time outside .These bad boys have in the past taken dogs, cats, smaller goats an such from there owners!

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    At this time of year, I have Redtail Hawks constantly flying over head checking out my coop. Since my girls are in a covered run, the hawks take care of the rodents and other vermin. They are a breeding pair, and have grown used to watching me do my chores. Their nest is located behind the husband's automotive shop, and when they are raising their young, I see them carrying all kinds of critters. The biggest thing I've seen them bring is a squirrel. They usually have rats and an occasional snake.

I do my job and they do theirs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by