1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do pallet coops really cost a lot less to build?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tigertrea, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    I am discussing with my hubby about ways to save money building our coop.

I mentioned pallets but, we were wondering just how much less it really costs. We can't find any building materials free/cheap. I've been looking only for a couple months though.

We'd still need to buy wood/siding for the outside, roof and floor as well as flooring, window, venting....etc. All the pallets will do is structure. For that we are looking at 2X4s. We are very interested in making it as predator safe as we can since we have a country/water front property.

I am just looking for estimates on how much you think was saved using pallets.

2. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    It all has to do with your connections. At my place of work we seem to throw out at least one pallet a week. Until i am looking for wood then there never seems to be any. The construction site we are currently at has some machinery the size of a small house. The amount of wood from the carets is amazing....but no savaging allowed on the site.

Its pretty hit and miss for free wood. That is why some get excited about a good free pick.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yellowirenut is right. It has to do with connections. I am a "MASTER SCAVENGER & "MASTER FREEBIE FINDER", so finding that kinda stuff comes easy to me. I know that I have literally save thousands of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ in materials. I can find for free (because I am not ashamed to ask people if they have anything they want to get rid of) , any type of lumber, aluminum siding, tin, nails, wire, shingles, and so much more. For most people, it's easier to just go and buy materials but when you are on a budget & cheap (like me) you spend a lot of time finding free stuff.

My BYC page tells it all. We have made a lot of other stuff that is not posted on my BYC and I need to update it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/kuntrygirls-page

4. SelfSufficient

SelfSufficient Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2012
    San Marcos, Tx
    Connections and not being afraid to ask. I found, through a friend, an big company that gets shipments in big OSB shipping crates. Once they are unloaded they give them away. Contractors and construction sites are great sources for remnants. You might be able to get siding, flooring, even roofing materials just by being willing to ask. What's the worst that could happen- they'll say no? It'll save them $$ in haul away and dump costs. Win - win!!!:D

5. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    Id love to be able to get some pallets for free. What are the best places to ask. Our feed store used to let you keep the pallets if you bought a pallet load of feed but theyve started askin that you bring them back to be reused. What do you say when you call places to ask if you can have their pallets?

6. tyjaco

tyjaco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    I'm building a pallet coop right now. It has saved me a ton! We did ALMOST all of the framing with pallets. We only had to buy a few 2" x 4"s.

What I did was put an ad up at the supermarket, and I got lots of people telling me where stacks of free pallets were, and places they know of to ask, etc...

We are using old fence boards for the siding... I'm going to stuff the inside with straw...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    Awsome thanks. That coop is gonna look amazing

8. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    Thank you all for the input. I have a neighbour that works for a demolition company, he is on the look out for materials for us. My husband drives a cement truck and once he is back to work in the spring he will have lots of contacts. I keep hoping we will come across things. I do have 1 or 2 metal sheds I could get my hands on....I just have to find a way to transport them lol.

9. MarysChickens

MarysChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Grandview Texas
    Search Craigslist in the freebie section, home depot, Lowe's(the guys at mine are super nice and will hold onto a few for me whenever I'm in a wood crafty mood), junk yards sometimes have some, recycle centers(if there are any near you). Hope that helps you some

10. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    I just picked up 27 free pallets this week!!! :) let the games begin!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by