do partridge rock & welsummer dev. comb early?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by t/m, Sep 19, 2011.

1. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    I have a 6 week old Welsummer hen & a 6 wk. old Partridge Rock hen. Which btw I can't tell who is who! Do those breeds develop combs and wattles early? Or do I have roosters? I also have 4 others all 6 wks old, but all different breeds so I can't compare, they are a Delaware, a White Rock, a Barred Rock and an Easter Egger. I know pics are best but I have no way to do that now. Thanks, any help is appreciated!

2. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have partridge rocks, I might be able to help. I don't have Wellies so, I can't help you there.

Here is a photo of one of my PR girls at 5 weeks old.

[​IMG]

Here is a photo of my PR rooster at one month old. I suspected he was a cokerel because of the bare patches everywhere, and his comb was noticably higher than the other girls of the same age and breed.
    [​IMG]

3. t/m

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Thanks, that does help. I now think my PR is a roo [​IMG] Mine looked just like that.

4. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Do you have other PR's? I'm new at his, so the only way I knew was to compare how differently he was developing compared to the others. Since I got all sexed hatchery chicks, it wasn't hard to figure out. Also- his comb wasn't red that young, but it was slightly pinker/darker than his sisters. Good luck! Post a pic if you can- preferrably on the "what breed or gender is this" forum, if you haven't already.

5. t/m

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Quote:No, I can't compare I got 1 each of 6 diff breeds: Easter Egger, Delaware, Barred Rock, White Rock, Partridge Rock & Wellsummer [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by