Do Pekins begin laying then stop?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crtrlovr, Aug 23, 2010.

1. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi there! I'm very new to ducks, but for some unknown reason answered a craigslist ad for 2 adult ducks who needed a home. They're a pair (yes, I know for certain; don't ask me how I know! [​IMG] ) The kids who had them named them Abby and Ducky after 2 characters on NCIS. [​IMG] The ducks were approximately 1 1/2 yrs. old when I got them in April or May. Abby laid many eggs at her former home and would incubate them, but none ever hatched. Ducky did mate with her frequently both at their former home and after I brought them here, but I haven't seen them mate in a few weeks now. She laid regularly up until it started getting really hot here (we've now had 35 days of temps at 90 degrees or above). I haven't found an egg for about a month now. She acts fine, they both eat well and forage in the run and in the (fenced) yard while I'm here at home. I've found no broken shells, and she no longer shapes the hay bedding into a nest. She doesn't appear to be molting that I can tell. Is she taking a sabbatical, or is something going on that I may need to be concerned about? I've wondered if possibly a rat might be stealing them, but wouldn't I see SOME kind of evidence, or a broken one occasionally? [​IMG] [​IMG] TIA, anyone who might shed some light on my darkness! [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It could be the heat stopping her from laying- but also she may have just stopped for the year. Pekins are bred as a meat bird rather than a layer.

3. Bryanccfshr

Bryanccfshr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    Farmington , NM
    Could be the stress of the move and the declining daylight as well. My Young Pekin girls are laying machines. Between two pekin girls I am at the rate of 10 eggs a week. They just started last week. I do have some green string lights that light up for two hours after sunset in their pen to encourage the laying and attract nighttime insects for some evening feeding. 0In the morning I go check their laying box, this morning I had two. My advice is to Give just a bit of light if eggs are your goal. I plan on giving all my girls a lighting break nov-Jan uary and then start lighting them again. Midsummer(heat) and midwinter breaks are what I have planned. My two runner girls are just starting to produce but these pekin girls as loud and obnoxious and constantly hungry as they are can pump out alot of large eggs.

4. crtrlovr

She laid an egg a day like clockwork for the first 2-3 mos. she was here, then just stopped cold. The woman I got them from said although Abby had been broody on the nest several times, none had ever hatched. I assumed Ducky didn't have the technique down or was possibly sterile, but then a few weeks ago I cracked one and it WAS fertile. I haven't found an egg from her since then. In all other aspects she appears to be fine, and there was no sign of trauma or stress from the move after the first day or so of adjusting. They both seem happy and healthy; just no eggs. I didn't know if Pekins had laying seasons like guineas, or if they were year-round layers. Thanks for the input! [​IMG]

5. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I have 2 Pekin Hens and they have laid an egg a day since they were 20 weeks old (they are now 11 months old and 17 months old), they only time they didn't lay was when they were trying to hatch a nest full of eggs. Our temps have been between 95 and 110 for the past two months and my girls haven't missed a day.

Michelle

6. Myra

Myra Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    My pekin laid eggs daily from 8 months old - 18 months and now she hasn't laid an egg for 2 months...go figure!

7. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    Well, this isn't going to be much help to you- but I have the exact same situation only my Pekins never moved. I have a boy and girl- used to breed all the time, she used to lay an egg every day... everything in your story the same- even both 1 1/2 years old. A couple months ago it looked like she decided to go broody in my neighbor's yard. I let her be- my neighbor thinks they are cute. But then she abandoned her nest, came home, and hasn't laid an egg since. We are hot here in Florida and I don't mind that she doesn't lay anymore- but it's just odd.
    Even the drake- who used to be really aggressive- has completely mellowed out. Now he pretty much never chases me anymore and hardly bothers to mate. They both appear completely healthy so whatever...

8. crtrlovr

yes, sticksoup, sounds exactly the same (except for the part where she attempted to nest). Abby used to shape the hay bedding into a nest shape, now she doesn't do that. She seems completely healthy and happy -- maybe she's just taking a break. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by