Do people actually debeak chicks?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rebecca10782, May 9, 2008.

1. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Do people actually debeak chicks?!

2. dreammaker8482

dreammaker8482 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Liberty, NC
    Unfortunately...I got one from my feed store that had already been debeaked [​IMG]...I felt really bad for her, so I got her, and she is doing really well. [​IMG]

3. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    Oh my God, why would someone do this? And how can they live without a beak? Thank you for adopting the poor little guy, I love to hear about people saving animals.

4. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Quote:They dont remove the entire beak.

Taken from our learning center

Quote:

5. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Quote:They don't take the whole beak off!![​IMG] the very tip of the beak can be trimmed off when the chicks are real young. It keeps chicks from picking each other and doing any damage to each other. If done properly, the tip of the beak grows back over time and you can't even tell it was done. I wouldn't debeak my chicks, because I don't have hundreds to deal with, but I can see why it is done.

6. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    Well, they should use a different term, because that term sounds incredibly cruel.

7. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    I just bought 3 17 week old pullets that were debeaked. It doesn't look like they have the easiest time eating. Maybe I'm wrong, they are my first older birds.

8. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Quote:You're right, they should use another term. I bought some gold comet pullets, already laying, that had been debeaked. I think it really detracts from their looks, but some of them have since grown their beaks back. And these chickens are bad to pick at each other. They grab and hang on, so maybe that's why they were debeaked as chicks.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  9. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    It still doesn't seem right, there beaks are shaped that way for a reason. I am not surprised they cannot eat as well. Can't they just be seperated from eachother?

10. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I imagine it is extremeley painful for the chicks and probaby hard to do for the person debeaking them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by