Do People Clip Wings Anymore?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rooster Cogburn, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    S.W. Washington State
    I had chickens about 15 years ago and clipped their wings, (one wing on each bird) to keep them in their run. That is until I got lazy and let them have the run of the barnyard. That's shortly before I started finding old eggs in the hay and chicks appearing from seemingly nowhere.
    I haven't seen anyone speak of clipping wings and I was wondering if it's out of vogue these days.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    We still do,but we are building a new coop and run to where we wont have to anymore,but we still trim their beaks for grow-out.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Ive clipped on my ducks, not my chickens but if Big Red keeps getting outside our 6 foot privacy fence I think I may have to. [​IMG]

4. dawnchick

dawnchick Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    I quit doing it. They have a strong 6' fence around a big yard, something like 50 sq ft per chicken. Chickens with one wing clipped still flew over. Depends on the breed; some fly much higher than others. Henderson's has info on this, in case you didn't know. Originally there was also an electric fence but it got wrecked pretty early.

Now rooster #2, who gets run out of the pen by #1, can also fly back in. Trouble is, he's too dumb to, so I make sure he has water, and there is plenty of natural food for him. Hopefully if a fox comes after him, he will be frightened enough to fly back in. They are funny, they half fly and half climb the fence to get back in, kind of run straight up with wings flapping. The dogs likely would run the fox off after an uproar like that. Haven't lost a chicken to wildlife for a couple of years.

5. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I clip mine for the first time when they come out of the brooder, and then every 3 months or so until they die or I sell or eat them.
    I have always clipped mine , I don't have 'runs' I have 5 chicken yards from 25x12 to 50x50 with 8 ft tall fences with chicken houses that I can walk around in , and I need to keep them in except for 8 bantoms that have the run of the place .

6. kota1369

kota1369 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    My ladies have a secure 4x12 chicken tractor but also free range my back yard for 4-6 hrs a day on average.
    I clip both of their wings. They can still fly but mine are pretty content to just hang out. I just do it for extra
    security for them. I do think it is a good practice for anyone who free ranges in a fenced are. JMO

the lady w/4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 5 meat rabbits, their kits and a lizard

7. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    S.W. Washington State
    I'd like to free range mine in the back yard but I do not want to have to knock on the neighbor's door to retrieve my chickens. If clipping wings can keep them in a six foot fence I may give it a try.

8. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I do. I didn't have to with the big chickens, but the little 2 month old ones fly out and spend all of their time in the back of our yard if I don't. They are the most feral chickens now... they still won't come running for treats.

It is time to clip them again, they grew back fast.

9. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    I clip all of my chickens wings. I don't like wings flapping around in my face and it does keep them from flying all over the yard. They can still move fast and they flap their wings sometimes when they run to me, it is like they are in super speed motion, it's so funny to watch. I also like the way it looks, it is more manicured. Just do what you like, it is really a personal preference.

10. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    We clip until they get too heavy to get very far off the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by