Do pigeons carry diseases...

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Golden Egg, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Golden Egg

Golden Egg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    That people or other farm animals/pets can catch?

2. Curtiejlee

Curtiejlee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    Only if you ingest their poop or lick a sick one! You have just as much of a chance of getting sick from one as a cat or a dog!

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Recently we had a woman in my province die from apparent contact with a pigeon (then again some people die from contact with peanut butter shell fish and the like). I have been around the sun 63 times and have been in contact with pigeons for many years with no safe guards or side affects. That being said when I do a deep clean of my loft in the future I will wear a dust mask.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/messages/messages/view/id/2864122/box/683913

4. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Of course they do. Except that for humans it's (at least usually) less of a transfer of disease as it is a negative reaction to the"by products" of pigeons. Though things like salmonella might be a problem? Either way, no more than with chickens or anything else, when properly cared for. Especially chickens and other poultry would be at risk of catching a disease. But not that it WILL happen, and not that it's any more likely to happen from pigeons than from anything else. I'm sure you're worried about the "disease ridden pest" idea so many have about pigeons, but it's really uncalled for.

5. Golden Egg

Golden Egg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    Thanks for your replies. Actually, I'm not worried about germs. I'm very laid back about germs (probably too much!). But I wanted assurance for family members that might worry. :)
    Any more voices of experience would be appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  6. loftkeeper

loftkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    this person was asking a good question lets not answer with silly things give good info or were to find it go to npausa.com national pigeon website many useful info there

7. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    They carry no more diseases than any other domestic bird.

Keep their coop reasonable clean and you will have no problems.

Main problem that pigeon fanciers can get is PIGEON LUNG.

This is caused by the dust from the birds feathers being breathed into your lungs over a long period for time. Then you body has a reaction against it. It is very serious condition. You can look it up in a web search.

Good news is you can totally prevent this and its easy!

Just keep the loft well ventilated and clean. If you have to do a big clean out just wear a dust mask.

In you loft design, have as much ventilation as you can, even have an entire side or couple of sides of the loft totally open - just covered in wire mesh.

Sand is great on the floor, and you should rake it over once a week and remove the piles of feathers - thats a good time to wear the dust mask.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    'Pigeon lung' is an allergic sensitization to pigeon dander that can cause serious health issues. Do a computer search on this condition. I know several fanciers who had to get rid of their pigeons because of this condition. I wear a canister type particle mask whenever I enter/clean my lofts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by