Do pinless peepers work?

bauerdog

Songster
Sep 6, 2012
central jersey
I have a bully in my pullet pen.....I was wondering how difficult pinless peepers were to use. I just need 1 set, but do you need anything special to place them?

They are quite effective. I've used them on many of my guineas and roosters to prevent chasing, attacking, and feather pulling. Definitely buy the application pliers to go with them! I bought mine without the pliers thinking "Oh, I'm strong, I'll just bend them myself!"... It's not that easy and I usually end up scraping/pinching the birds noses while putting them on - not very fun for either of us. :(

Effectiveness depends on the individual chicken. Some are able to work around the vision reduction and resume their bad behavior, but most do alter their naughtiness.

You don't need to spend a lot by getting the "special" tool they sell with the peepers. Most hardware stores carry the reverse-action pliers, called "snap-ring" pliers, at a fraction of the cost. I got a nice pair with multiple interchangeable heads which make the application very easy.

Thank you, both of you. Where is the best deal for buying some? I only have one bully, so is this a one application and done type of thing? Or do I need a bunch because they fall off, etc? I imagine my husband already owns some sort of pliers that fits the bill.....

Thank you, both of you. Where is the best deal for buying some? I only have one bully, so is this a one application and done type of thing? Or do I need a bunch because they fall off, etc? I imagine my husband already owns some sort of pliers that fits the bill.....

I got mine at Strombergs decently cheap. They don't generally sell them just one, usually it's in packs of like 10 or 12. But they're useful to have around, some fall off and need replaced and I've given a few to chicken keeping friends as well.

Back
Top Bottom