Do polish chickens roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yammafarmer, Jan 10, 2013.

1. yammafarmer

yammafarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    I'm hoping not, so my silkie hen can have a snuggle buddy over next winter.

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    IME, yes, Polish do roost. Could you maybe make a ladder up to the roost so the Silkie can climb up?

3. yammafarmer

Jun 19, 2012
    Thanks bunnylady, good to know. I may have to build a ladder for Fancy Nancy. She used to snuggle with my frizzle, but the frizzle passed away this fall and I worry that she's getting chilly.

4. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Yes polishes roost. I did not know that silkies do not roost though. That will be something I need to take into consideration if I get silkies

5. yammafarmer

Jun 19, 2012
    My lone silkie just nestles into the corner of the coop, so make sure you have a corner that doesn't have a roost overhead, or build a slanted roof under the roost for her/him. My plan is to get her another silkie pal so she can be warmer during the winter. As it is, whenever we get sleet or rain I'm bringing her in at the end of the day and blow drying her feather fur before I put her in the coop for the night. A year ago I didn't even have chickens, or think I wanted them. Now I'm happily running a chicken beauty shop it seems.

6. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I know how that it. I grew up on my gma's farm but didnt get back into chickens until june 2012. This is my first very own flock. I dont know what I would do without them now. It is amazing how hooked you get so fast. My life was completly changed when I got my birds. I started with 8 and now have 66 lol Chicken math!!!

7. Chick Moma DD

Chick Moma DD New Egg

May 10, 2013
    I have 4 polish juveniles and they have not roosted yet!!! They just snuggle in the corner!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by