1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Polish hens go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msgenie516, Feb 18, 2009.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I have had a Polish hen since last September. She was already laying but she was young. She molted in October (mostly lost all her tail feathers) and stopped laying for a short while.

Now I have found her several times sitting on an egg, not necessarily her own. She was sitting on one today but didn't lay an egg today. She usually runs scared when I go near her but when I checked under her for an egg (which was there), she didn't move at all. That seemed to me like the behavior of a broody. Her regular laying schedule is to lay two days in a row and then skip one day. She is still on that schedule unless she doesn't lay an egg tomorrow.

Is it possible that she is starting to go broody? I don't even know if there is such a thing. I thought they were broody or not, and not that this is a thing that starts slowly.

If it matters, there are four other broody hens in the coop with her, 3 Silkies and a "Sizzle".

Thanks for your help! Genie

2. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    in 4 yrs only 1 of my 4 polish hens went broody and raised her chicks

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I have always had a few polish around the place and have never had a single one go broody. Although it is possible. White leghorns have been breed specifically for egg production and all efforts have been made to breed the broody gene out of them.
    On occasion I will have a white leghorn go broody and stick with it for a mnth or so.

4. devin35

devin35 New Egg

Aug 17, 2012
    I had 4 polish hens at 1 year old but 3 of them got kill by raccons and now 4 weeks later she sitting on a bunch of eggs and not running away when i looked under her so I'm guessing these is a sine that she maybe going broody ???[​IMG]

5. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    My golden Polish went broody. She wasn't "growly broody" but she sat eggs for me.

6. devin35

devin35 New Egg

Aug 17, 2012
    Mine is golden to what age was ur ??

7. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Oops sorry for the late reply. Mine is a little over a year old.

8. chicken man 78

chicken man 78 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2014
    I have a polish hen thats been jumping out her pin and gone lay her eggs in my shed i never touched any of her eggs but she lays and then leaves the nest and at night shes not staying with her nest i see she jumps back in the pin with the other polish to go sleep with them then i catch her every morning back in my shed like shes seeing about her nest please help me any information will be greatly appreciated does anyone think i should go pick her eggs and put them in the incebator or wait a few days and see if she goes broody please help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by